CTIA

Instead of writing a bazillion tweets like I have been, I'm just going to blog my various thoughts on what is going on at CTIA. I've been watching it closely waiting for an announcement from verizon regarding the nexus one (so help me god if I have to wait longer for it). while there have been some really awesome phones announced(nexus one is no longer the top phone on the market) I don't think there is any arguing that android is dominating the show so far.

  • First we had the Samsung galaxy S. If were available now I might think about buying it, even though it looks like an ugly iphone. its screen is gorgeous and it seems really snappy and sharp. Though I prefer vanilla android (i have yet to see a different ui that i like more) it is only slightly changed and seems pretty cool.
  • Sprint's 4g phone, the HTC evo 4G. this is a marvel of technology, from a pure specification point of view, there isn't any phone that can compete. The problem: It looks like an HTC phone. While the nexus one is built by HTC it wasn't designed by them and looks sexy, I just don't like HTC's aesthetic. also I wonder if sprint's 4G network will have the dreamcast effect. cool now, but doesn't match up when the big kids come out to play later (in this metaphor I would compare nintendo to verizon and sony to AT&T) Time will tell i suppose.
  • Windows phone 7 series (or something like that... why can't it just be wimo7?) Looks really awesome, and If i weren't impatient to get a new phone I might wait till this comes out. Seems more geared to the casual user, I imagine the business user being turned off by the whimsical UI. I'm really excited to see actual devices with it. Maybe microsoft will release an official one? the Zune phone?
  • Verizon announced some cool new tech that I won't use. one that allows you to pay for stuff with your cellphone, and mobile skype. I don't really get skype, so I can't say that I care about that, and the payment by cellphone seems a little.... unsecured... what if you leave your phone sitting on the grocery store counter? Neither tech caught my attention though so my opinion are totally based on tweets.
There's still an hour and a half left of the show, but i'm surprised to not hear about the nexus one on verizon yet. Some awesome devices announced though. I really think this dominance of android means the iphone has lost its status as the "it" phone, if it hasn't lost it already. of course, I love bashing apple, so I might be a little biased, but they have to do a major hardware update if they want to keep up.

~Ben

1 comments: